Sunday, February 13, 2011

Grocery Shopping cont. $89!

I had a bit of a lazy morning today and spent way too much time planning my menu for the week and perusing the store's circular. Here is my weekly menu plan:

1) Sweet Potato Burritos (I make plenty to freeze for lunches too)

2) Chicken Stir Fry with Brown Rice

3) Butternut Squash Casserole with Chicken Sausage

4) Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup

5) Baked Tilapia and Sweet Potato Fries

6) Gnocchi, Butternut Squash and Spinach Skillet

7) Yellow Split Pea Soup

For breakfasts, we have the options of cereal, oatmeal, toast, pancakes, waffles, eggs, and yogurt.

For lunches, we have the options of turkey or tuna sandwiches, salads, burritos or leftovers.

I picked two new recipes to throw in the mix. I usually only try one new recipe per week. However, winter squash was on sale for 33 cents a pound, a third of its usual cost, so I sought out some recipes to use the squash. I also bought extra squash to stockpile since it has a good shelf life. I didn't buy much for my stockpile since we I only had an hour to do my shopping because we had plans to take a picnic lunch to the park. I did buy two extra boxes of cereal on sale for $2/box, some quinoa (not on sale but its a great thing to have around), spaghetti, granola bars on sale, extra squash, and extra yellow split peas. All in all, I think I did really well. I did forgo my usual bottle of wine. It's hard to justify spending money on something that is quite obviously a luxury item. I'm starting to rethink that decision right about now. It did make me quite happy to stay under budget and still have a plan to cook nutritious meals for my family. It almost feels like it might be possible to stick to a smaller grocery budget once I've quit my job.




No comments:

Post a Comment