Sunday, February 13, 2011

Grocery Shopping Challenge

This month we’re attempting to stick as closely as possible to our new one-income budget. One of my most difficult budget categories has always been groceries. I budget $600/month for our family of four. This category also includes any toiletries, household supplies as well as diapers and wipes for youngest who is not yet potty trained. Trust me; we’re working on it. It always seems like such a large sum of money at the beginning of the month. I typically shop once a week at our local fresh grocery store and then once or twice at the larger club store for things we buy in bulk. I’ve been fairly consistent with my weekly menu planning, which I do before I shop for the week. Already this month, we’ve spent $350. That leaves us with only $250 for the next two weeks. We did visit the club store earlier this month and bought diapers and wipes. However, we don’t have much in the cupboards. I’ve been working hard at coming up with things to eat to utilize what we have, so we don’t have much stocked up. Myy challenge to myself is to stick to the remainder of my grocery budget for the month and add some staples to my cupboard over the next two weeks. I’ll have $125 to spend for my weekly groceries. Think I can do it? I hope so. My new budget after I quit, shaves $100 off of my grocery bill. I hope to accomplish that through shopping more carefully and buying on sale at multiple stores. These are things that I currently don't have much time for. I’ll post my weekly menu and the results of my shopping trip later.

No comments:

Post a Comment