Friday, July 16, 2010

Introducing "Not the Joneses"

I have been meaning to start this blog for a few weeks now. I've become somewhat addicted--in a good way--to personal finance/financial independence websites and blogs. These websites and blogs are rife with stories of people who have been there and done that. They've paid off debt, changed their lifestyles, and found happiness in living with less. I find them fascinating. I enjoy reading their encouraging words of wisdom but I can't help feel that there are not enough people out there documenting their journey right now. So here it is. My blog is about learning to live within my means, paying off debt, saving for short- and long-term goals, and finding a sense of balance in all areas of my life.

Why the name? Here is my family in a snapshot. My husband and I, college sweethearts, married early, had our first daughter, finished our degrees, started our careers, had another daughter, and finished our graduate degrees. Yes, you did read that right. We did it in that exact order. So while we probably appear to be a solidly middle class family, there is a bit more behind our little family including a pile of credit card debt and student loan debt. While our peers now chase after expensive homes, new cars, nice clothes, we are pinching pennies to try and pay off our debt and achieve financial independence.

I will be posting on a regular basis including details about our debt repayment and savings goals. I will also be posting about our attempts at more frugal/simple living.


No comments:

Post a Comment