Sunday, January 30, 2011

Downsizing

After multiple lengthy discussions with my husband over the past couple of days, we’ve made the decision to downsize our home. We live in a great rental house. It’s over 1800 square feet with 3 bedroom, 2 full baths, and a den. It is a 1950s house and is showing its age. However, it is the nicest place we’ve ever lived. It’s in a great neighborhood. There is a million dollar home next door. It is in walking distance to my daughter’s school, shops, the library, and the park and rec center. There isn’t much I don’t like about the house except for maybe the dated kitchen. The problem is that the house will eat up almost 40% of my husband’s base take home pay after I leave my job. We have a great deal right now; the rent is under market. The big “but” is that the rent won’t be in line with our new income. My original plan had been to stay here and see how everything shakes out after I leave my job in April. We’ve decided though that it would be better to move to a cheaper place more in line with our income before I quit my job. I didn’t want to leave this house. In fact, I’m still a little sad to give up all this space. Now, that we’ve made the decision I feel relieved. If we move to a cheaper house or apartment, we’ll be very close to making ends meet. The pressure will be off for me to make a certain income each month. When I do get a part-time job that money can go to savings and for the extra little fun things. Now, it is an adventure. I am religiously skimming the craigslist ads looking for our new home. I know it will be smaller, maybe in a less desirable location, and it might even be an apartment. I also know that this is what is allowing me to downshift my life. In a way, it’s exciting. The next step in my journey home, wherever that may end up being.

No comments:

Post a Comment